Wednesday, November 18, 2009

passing the torch

For years I have been the "Chutney Queen" at our Thanksgiving, going overboard with the relish trays and homemade chutneys & pickles...



This year I have passed the torch to my sister who is excited to try some new recipes
For last year's post and chutney recipes click here

So I am now in charge of desserts - I will miss my bubbling chutneys on the stove but look forward to adding my own twist to the dessert line-up

we will have the old favorites of Pumpkin Pie and Chocolate Cream Pie, an assortment of Sweet Breads ( I LOVE baking bread :)
plus 3 new additions that I am ultra-excited to try:

Plum Cobbler

1/2 cup sugar, divided
4 cups plums, pitted/sliced
1 cup flour, divided
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp allspice
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 cup butter
1/3 cup milk
2 Tbsp packed brown sugar



Preheat oven 425 degrees. Reserve 1 Tbsp sugar. In a medium bowl, mix remaining sugar, plums, 2 Tbsp flour and spices; pour into an 8inch cake pan. Combine and mix remaining flour, reserved sugar, baking powder and salt. Add butter and cut into flour mixture, mixing until moistened. Spoon eight mounds of dough on top of the plum mixture. Sprinkle brown sugar over dough. Bake in preheated oven for 25-30 minutes or until plum mixture bubbles/thickens and topping browns. Serve warm with ice cream or whipped topping.
~ old Maine recipe

Mrs. Salter's Peanut Butter Pie
This looks ultra easy and my Dad just adores peanut butter pie so I wanted to surprise him with it...click here for the recipe courtesy of Paula Deen

Indian Pudding
I am most excited about making this one as I haven't had Indian Pudding since I was a child and I loved it - traditionally this is made in a double-boiler and baked but I thought this crockpot version sounded interesting...it is either going to be the hit of the dessert table or my biggest disaster. we shall see...



3 cups milk
1/2 cup cornmeal
1/2 tsp salt
3 eggs
1/4 cup light brown sugar
1/3 cup molasses
2 Tbsp butter
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp allspice
1/2 tsp ginger
2/3 cup chopped raisins (optional)

Lightly grease crockpot. Preheat on high for 20 minutes. Meanwhile bring milk, cornmeal and salt to a boil. Boil, stirring constantly, for 5 minutes. Cover and simmer an additional 10 minutes. In a large bowl, combine eggs, brown sugar, molasses, butter and spices. Gradually beat in hot cornmeal mixture; whisk until smooth. Stir in raisins. Pour into crock and cook on Low 6-8 hrs or High 2-3 hrs. Serve warm with vanilla ice cream.
~ courtesy Food.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails